07 April 2008

My Time With Charleton Heston

Charleston Heston w Belafonte

With the passing of this great american icon of film and politics, I couldn’t help but reflect on my Forrest Gump like dumb luck.  I have met, been around, or hung out with more celebrities and news makes than I can remember.  Now, I’m not bragging here.  Half of the times, these folks didn’t even know of my existance or presence, and I certainly didn’t seek them out or stalk them like some crazed groupee, but it’s just kinda weird how many times I’ve found myself being around some place or event that later became part of history.  Some years ago, my close friends began calling me the Black Gump.  To you younger ones, watch the movie and you’ll get it.

It was back in 2000 in Los Angeles, I did not have long hair yet.  A week before the Democrat National Convention, which I attended, was to take place, there I was on the campus of UCLA.  There was a conference and symposium put on by a group who felt the earth had too many people to sustain itself and they were advocating population control.  Among the various activities they did, besides giving out lots of free condoms during the week of the event (hey, it was summer, we were in LA, college campus, young politically charged activists, you put it together).  The highlight of the week was a screening of the classic film Soylent Green, starring Charleton Heston.

If you’ve never heard of this movie, it’s definitly a cult classic worth checking out.  Since this is a blog, and to read this you must be online, do some research and google the flic to learn more about.  The post apocolyptic thriller portrays a scary world in the future.

My team was in charge of transportation for the invited guests, including Mr. Heston.  He was thrilled to ride with us, and kept up a lively and spirited conversation.  He didn’t look at us as just mere help as so many big wigs do.  The man was real and he was human.
 Before the film was played, Mr. Heston walked out to the front of the theater and gave a short speech to the crowd.  There he stood, larger than life, and you just felt an awe in his presence.  Then the lights dimmed and movie played.  To this day, I feel privilaged to have been in the same small room as this titanic figure in our history and culture.  It’s pretty cool to watch a movie along with the person starring in it.

My favorite line of his from a movie is from the Ten Commandments.  How can you not feel the passion behind the utterance "Damn them to HELL!"

By the way, I know there are many detractors to his legacy.  Feel how you may about him, as a gun owner, and a freedom fighter, I feel forever indebted to those like him who cared for and fought for what we now enjoy.

Although not given much credit for it, Mr. Heston participated in civil rights marches in the 60’s right along side black activists.  It did not help his career or increase his popularity in a still mostly racist hollywood.  He didn’t do it for personal gain, he did it because it was something he believed in.  He is part of a dying breed.  Those that are willing to stand up and fight, and be proud of what they believe in.

Rest in peace Moses, Ben Hur, Marc Antony, El Cid.

No comments: