30 March 2009

Those Damned Birds!

Vulture Crash Into Car, Causes Injury

These suckers always creep me out. Ever seen how huge they are up close? I've been nearer to them than most. I have some really good footage, video and still. It's laying around here somewhere, when I find, will have to upload.

Today we learn some poor woman in a minivan on New York's I-80 was injured. One of these winged beasts crashed though the window.

At least she was luckier than the poor guy on the motorcycle last year. He died from his injuries.

Some of you know, when no police agency would hire me after some strange events, I ended up working as an animal cop. It was supposed to be a demotion, an insult of sorts, but I loved it. During that time I became way too familiar with all kinds of large and dangerous birds. I love birds, especially the fried kind, but vultures really scare me. If you seen what I have, you wouldn't think my fear irrational. Certain birds just really scare me. When it come to vultures, to me, there's a reason they look as ugly as they do.

It's God's way of telling us these guys are not our friends and we should stay away from them at all costs. I want you to take a really good look our winged friend here. Look like something you want near you?

By the way, the name of the towing company that came for the vulture road kill van....Eagle Towing, no lie.

Learn more:

NBC New York Article on the vulture-car crash

VULTURE FACTS/Why I Hate Them

  • The Turkey Vulture has few natural predators.
  • Its primary form of defense is regurgitating semi-digested meat, a foul-smelling substance which deters most creatures intent on raiding a vulture nest.
  • It will also sting if the predator is close enough to get the vomit in its face or eyes.
  • They find meals using a keen sense of vision smell, flying low enough to detect gasses produced by the beginnings of the process of decay in dead animals.
  • The droppings of vultures vultures can harm or kill trees and other vegetation, talk about wicked poop.
  • The Turkey Vulture is awkward on the ground with an ungainly, hopping walk.
  • It requires a great deal of effort to take flight, flapping its wings while pushing off the ground and hopping with its feet
  • In the USA it is illegal to take, kill, or possess Turkey Vultures, violation of the law is punishable by a fine of up to 15,000 US dollars and imprisonment of up to six months.

No comments: