29 March 2009

I'm Convinced, Baltimore's In Denial...And Want To Remain

I could write a book on this, and if I live long enough, I probably will. There is a dark, dirty, disgusting story about Baltimore that hasn't yet been fully told. David Simon gave it a serious go, but overall low ratings and lack of independent support and verification led to the eventual canceling of HBO's The Wire. It was viewed as fiction. Entertaining yes, but mostly fiction.

The average citizen, if they only knew that in this day and age, an American city with such close proximity to Washington, DC can be this corrupt. The outrage would be uncontainable. Guess what, most people don't really know just how bad it is. It takes HBO dramas, it takes lone wolf investigative journalists, working without support, it takes privately started blogs.

Baltimore's true story of crime and corruption will someday be told. Sadly, some of us trying to tell it may not live to see this happen. No matter how much screaming and shouting is done, people still want to live in denial. For some time I've issued warnings in this space and my former home, The Baltimore Spectator. I know many see me as just some narcissistic, paranoid alarmist. That' s fine. Keep thinking about me and my issues.

The real issue is how nasty and corrupt this place is. People like me want to be part of the solution. Before solutions can be found, problems must be identified. In IDing problems, you can't pull punches. You have to be harsh and make it plain. When I tried to rescue my friend from alcoholism and addiction, I called him out. I was mean, I was rude, I was in his friggin face.

It was not easy for him or me. When I drove my truck out to his house. We loaded up all his belongings. I told him he was coming to stay with me so I could take care of him and help him out. For several months he stayed clean, worked for my business (yes, I once owned an old steel mill - diff. corp. name, I'm not stupid), and started to get his life in order.

One day his mother gave called me. It stopped me dead in my tracks. She told me his pole dancing, stripper sister had just died. I never knew her, but I knew my friend really loved her and was more concerned for her than for his own self. She was even more addicted than he was. Her biggest problem was she had a means to continually pay for and feed her addiction.

One night, totally strung out and thinking who knows what. She jumped into her cute little sports car and went for a ride. Investigators tell us when she crashed, the speedo was stuck well over 100 miles per hour. My friend was never the same since. Neither am I.

The stories of the street are so real. I've tried telling them, but had little support. I am not the only one. Now that the Baltimore Spectator is no more, if you truly care to see things better, you must support independent media. Why? Very simple. How many years has the Sun been here? How few stories of the true Baltimore underworld do they ever print? Have you read any there lately? When people like me try to contribute, they chase me away, I'm banned, my submissions are deleted without comment or explanation.

But I forgot, it's all about me. Guess I'm in denial too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's pretty easy. No one cares about it. The media only covers stories people care about. How can I get fired up about a drug dealer killing another drug dealer? I could care less. Frankly, I hope they kill more of each other so that the police can't screw up the case.

MacArthur Media Staff said...

AF to Anonymous: So when your sister, brother, son or daughter is killed in the "accidental crossfire," will you care then? No wonder we're as bad off as we are. Your attitude typifies it. But what do I know?

MacArthur Media Staff said...

It doesn't escape me that the first public comment on my resurrected personal blog was a negative one. Now that made me smile. My cynical sarcastic, having pity for those who don't know better smile.

-- A.F James MacArthur

Anonymous said...

How about doing some research for this blog? 91% of 2007's murder victims had criminal records. What does that tell you? It's drug dealers killing drug dealers. Do accidential crossfire deaths happen? Of course. And those are the deaths the media should be focused on. Not these gang bangers.

MacArthur Media Staff said...

AF to Anonymous: You know, I love talking to people that hide behind masks. I wore a mask most my life. When I was first a police cadet, the commanders wanted to get rid of me once they found out about my outside political views.

Not sure who you are, but you want research. I'll give you research. Where were you almost 20 years ago when I started tracking fugitives? Where were you when I started going on raids with first a local Sheriff squad, then narcotics, vice and other specialized units? Further, when I was student in college way back when, my major was criminal justice/criminology.

I've been quietly working on a privately funded study profiling fugitives. I'll be sure to give you a bound copy when it's complete.

No for your saying it's all drug dealer killing another dealer. Do you have RESEARCH to back this up? I love how the assumption is made that because I'm a blogger I don't know what I'm talking about. Why don't you call up my radio show and talk to me instead of hiding behind "anonymous."

One more thing Mr. Anonymous. I have a so called criminal record too. Does this mean if I get killed it's ok? Think my parents, my children and my friends will write off my death because I had "a criminal record." You clearly have very little understanding of how our system works.

I hope one day you don't get a bunch of false charges hurled at you. You're backed into a corner. And you take some kinda stupid plea so you can move on with your life and live in peace.

Van said...

@AF
I live in California, born and raised. Im a heavy political news junkie and former indy journalist.

FWIW, Baltimore is in my top 5 of national cities that keep popping onto my radar with a genuine WTF. You got some grade-A badness out there, and you're not alone in seeing that.

When a guy can smell the stink from 3,000 miles away, you know it's bad.

Although with regard to independent media, dont get your hopes up. The denial out here is thick, and it pervades the independents too. It's a cultural and societal problem. The poor and the powerful just seem to suffer different (and sometimes not to different) prejudices.

I know how it feels to be screaming "Fire!" at the top of your lungs, in a building filled with smoke, and still somehow go unheard.

You know when an alcoholic hits rock bottom, and finally has that moment of clarity where the denial shatters and they reach out for help?

I really think our society is headed that direction. I just wish they'd hurry up.