27 November 2017

Get Help If You Must, But Get It Done


Squatting is one of my favorite lifts. Few movements engage your entire body and builds strength the way this pilar of the big three will. In my peak I was doing around 500 pounds with ease. But I always needed some kind of "help."

Without some sort of knee support or wrap, I can barely get past my warm up sets without my knees feeling they're just going to buckle and collapse under the weight.
Besides the usual wear and tear of decades of pumping iron, competitive running, both track and distance, and just being a big guy, my knees have really taken a beating. I was shot in my knee, by and unknown gunman, basically a sniper.

I've also suffered numerous injuries to the area, many of them unrelated to sports or competition. But I press on anyhow. For me life isn't about giving up or making excuses.

Despite my having to use braces and wraps, I've still gained a ton of fitness and strengh from doing this exercise. In fact, you'll find nearly 99% of the highest level, world class weightifters use some sort of knee support when squatting.

Life Is Like Lifting

There are many things in life that we need to do, that we'll grow from doing, but often shy away from because it seems too difficult. Or something about our condition or circumstance makes it seem like we'll just never be good at it.

It could be a certain course or class. Maybe taking on new challenges at work. But we shy away and avoid it.

Sometimes we hesitate too long before seeking assistance. Asking for help is so often associated with being weak or less than whole. That simply isn't true. It's better to get something done, even if you need some kind of help, be it coaching, mentoring or guidance, than to not get it done at all.

It is virtually impossible to attain your full potential as a person, as a human being, without getting assistance along the way. So don't be afraid, don't hesitate to get help when going after what you want, when seeking what you need. Go get it done!

And at some point you'll be given the opportunity to be someone else's help. Do the righeous thing, pay it forward, keep your cycle going and give back. After all, in this life, the more you give it's the more you'll get.
x

No comments: