19 November 2017

On Life And Lifting

We're never gonna be what we used to be, but each day we have an opportunity to become something we've never been.

When I first started lifting more years ago than I care to admit here, I had all these big goals and aspirations of what I was gonna get out of lifting. Now decades later I look back through the years and see some it I've achieved, a lot of it I haven't.

My workouts have changed greatly through the years.

When I was young asthetics held a much more prominent place in my motivation than it does now. I mean, who doesn't want to look good right?

But as I've gotten older and have had to deal with natural age related changes in my physical appearance, from thinning and graying hair and other things I rather not talk about, I realized how I look may change more quicker than I can control.

Whereas in the strength department, I'm still basically off the charts, and I've learned I can hold onto that, even increasing and improving it, much more than I can my ruggedly handsome good looks. 

I want to be able to look at heavy stuff, whether weights or real world objects, command it to move and with my might and my muscles, make it move -- without blowing my back out.

Today for the first time in a year I deadlifted in the high 400 pound range and didn't feel like I  was going to die. I also curled 60 pound dumbbells with ease.

Once I was strong, well balanced, a muscular young man. Now I'm middle aged, hanging on to what I got, and looking forward to making the most of what's lays ahead in life.

Today I lift to live. For the long haul. A life of strength and health is what's most important. All else is secondary.

No comments: