07 November 2017

Trucker Josh -- Living In America

A few weeks ago I had the misfortune of being stuck just outside of Omaha, Nebraska.

Standing in a long line of people waiting for a table or booth to open at a highway diner, it began to look as if it might be lunchtime before I got breakfast.

Josh was ahead of me in line. We struck up the sort of small talk typical of people stuck together in long lines.

He pointed to an elderly couple and told me he'd let them skip ahead of him. I told him that was really kind of him and it just seemed like the right thing to do.



Breaking Bread Together

"Hey, if you want man, when they [the hostess] calls me you could sit with me and you won't have to wait as long, Josh said.

Although home is Virginia, Josh rarely sees it. Not just because he's a long haul, over the road truck driver, but his soon to be ex wife basically told him she really didn't want him around. So for now, he's more or less made the road his home.

He told me stories of some of his epic, near record breaking coast to coast drives. He also explained to me the difference in driving for a good company versus a bad one. For 21 years now, driving trucks is what he's done for a living.


I Got It

When the check arrived, before I could reach for mine, Josh told the waitress "give em both to me, I got it." I asked if he was sure. He insisted.

After exchanging numbers we parted ways and continued on our separate journeys. His was his occupation. Mine was one of discovery and exploration.

"We'll meet again," was the last thing he said to me.

We've stayed in touch and exchanged a few texts and pics from our travels.


A week ago we learned we'd both be in Armarillo, Texas around the same time. So we met for dinner. This time I paid.

Indeed, we did meet again.

No comments: