14 January 2008

Not The Way To Start Your Day

Not The Way To Start Your Day

Have you ever had one of those days when you had everything well thought out, and perfectly planned? You know, the kind where you figure out how you're gonna make the most of your time and be a productive person. Have you ever had one of those days where the perfect plan you've laid out is derailed from the start? Well, that was my Sunday.

After going to bed early with hopes of an early rising to hit the ground running, I was stunned by the fact that I overslept a bit. Ok, not so bad, I can recover from this. The way I figure, I had a chance to find two critical witnesses I was assigned to locate, early in the morning, then I would still be able to make football practice.. Yup, those were my plans, but this was reality:

Not happy with this car.

So my trusty, Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor decided not to be so trusty this morning. Without warning and for no apparent reason, the beast refused to start. Ever try getting a jump start, early on a Sunday morning? Good luck. I sent out a distress signal, but even that brought no help. After sending two texts to the coach that I was broken down, and would probably be late for practice, I realised that I'd be more than just late. I wasn't going to make it.

I know you've probably been there before, but having your car suddenly decide not to cooperate with you really stinks. I've had more vehicles break down on me, in more cities, in more states than probably anyone I know. I swear, they don't like me. It's a conspiracy. Man versus machine.

Truly though, I should be thankful I suppose. At over 350, 000 miles, this car is doing things I don't even think Ford expected it to do.

The well worn engine that's still going after all these years.

Yes, that really is the amount of miles the car has on it. Someone in fleet management really doesn't like me. Seriously. I'm continually transferred from one old vehicle to another. Don't ask. Most days though, she gets the job done. To all you people who think American cars don't last long, I got something for ya.

While the outside is painted in a deceptive color scheme, the actual typical use and purpose of my car remains a mystery to most. I like it this way. I can slip in and out of neighborhoods, office parks, and government areas, all without drawing the least bit of suspicion or attention. Usually....there was that one time though.....

Inside the car lies some fairly sophisticated computer gagetry. Below is a picture showing my mobile data terminal, and the onboard pc in navigation mode. Truth is, most of the gear like the electronic countermeasures, jammers, communications etc. can't be seen. They are cleverly hidden as they should be. I get all this and an AM/FM radio WITH cassette , that can hardly tune into a local station. Go figure. The last car I had was able to tune in radio stations from several states away. No lie!

Cruiser cockpit

Hope you've had a great weekend, and that your day didn't or will not begin with a car that won't start. Stay tuned this week for what I hope to be an interesting variety of blog topics. Now why am I still awake anyhow? So much for a perfectly planned day eh?


~~APOLLOS

No comments: