29 March 2009

On Mexico, Food & Motorcyles -- Simple Pleasures

You guys know I love good food. Sometimes good food doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. Some of the best food I've ever tasted in my life was in third world countries from street vendors. I remember once after I got fired from a security job, I packed my bags, jumped on my motorcycle and headed off to Mexico. Not too many people know this story, and I won't tell it now. I just bring it up because I remember how good the food was.

The same native food the locals eat. Not in the fancy restaurants or at tourist hotels. Nope, just roadside vendors in a small town you've probably never heard about, and never will. There I sat on the side of the road, my big motorcycle a curiosity to the whole town. I was eating some good food, and I loved it! I didn't want to ever leave. I thought heck, I could run away and never go back. Viva Mexico! Your stuff's almost as good as the food from my native West Indies.


TODAY'S LUNCH

Lunch today was rather simple and cheap, but it tasted so good. I had steamed brown rice, seasoned with parsley, onions and garlic (no added salt). On top of this I poured yummy black beans. Topping it all off was my sister Jean's awesome home made, home grown tomato sauce. What a yummy, delicious, nutritious simple meal. You should try it sometime. Sure you won't have Jean's home made sauce, but I'm sure you'll find a cheap substitute.

On the side were slices of whole grain wheat bread with a light natural butter spread. My beverage was a huge pot of green tea sweetened with honey. See, told you I knew how to cook. It's one of my simple pleasures.

No comments: