25 May 2009

What's Next? Here They Come!

Well, I did it again. I just wrote another critical piece on Baltimore City government. I named names, and didn't pull any punches in stating my OPINION. Should be no big deal right? After all, as a member of the press, in a free and democratic society, I'm afforded such privilege. It's even supported by law as outlined in the Constitution of the United States.

SUPPRESSION BY ANOTHER NAME

Funny thing though, the last time I ran such a piece, it went out at around 0800 on 31 March. By 0930 I was placed under arrest. I had an appointment at the Mitchell Courthouse, and right there in the lobby as I tried to enter, they seized me, supposedly for "disorderly conduct." A totally BS charge without any evidence, opinion, or supposed victim. I then sat for seven days in Central Booking without being formally charged, without a bail being set, without being brought before a commissioner. Sounds a lot like that ole due process thing don't it?

To keep things interesting, I was then transferred to a mental hospital, the Walter P. Carter center for a month. This was done without justification, or articulation of facts of observed behavior deeming it necessary. Within 48 hours I was professional evaluated and found fully competent by the doctors. But I was not set free. After that, I was sent to Baltimore City Detention Center. All told, I was locked away for nearly two months for disorderly conduct. Remember I said I was never charged? When I was being processed for release, at the last moment, near the exist, I was re-arrested on a warrant. What for? "Disorderly conduct." The same charge I was supposedly already under arrest for and had spent all the time locked up on.

Making matters worse, I now actually have a court date. Again, remember, this all came after a series of critical pieces on this administration. Particularly it's inability to effectively deal with the rise in crime and violence in the city. I specifically take issue with how much time and resources are spent pursuing the wrong people. Efforts that could be better spent having a more direct impact on city crime. The above true story of my case makes the point even clearer than ever.

For a fiscal conservative like me, I'm particularly sickened to learn the state and city has spent a combined nearly $75,000 in trying to bring me down. From the investigations, to the jail and hospital stay, to the malicious prosecution, and everything else that goes with it. And the city was made safer by all this how? Please tell me when you find out. Don't forget how at the end of last year I was arrested twice in two days. One charge was dismissed when the officer, Michael Maurice never bothered to show to at the hearing based on his charge. And some of you thought doing media work wasn't dangerous. I guess when you play it safe and you're afraid to speak truth to darkness, you have nothing to worry about. If you can't find me, they've probably taken me out again. Maybe this time for good.

The enemies of freedom never rest.

RELATED:

The amazingly prophetic video I made the day before my false imprisonment.

No comments: